Photo

better for bursting open plastic: Lift or meal?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
3 replies to this topic

#1 adam1717

adam1717

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 28 September 2006 - 07:39 AM

Hi, i want to make some small firecrackers from filling small plastic tubes with blackpowder but am not sure which type of powder would be better. Would meal of granuated lift powder be better for this purpose?

Thanks

#2 karlfoxman

karlfoxman

Resident Maltese shell builder

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,139 posts

Posted 28 September 2006 - 08:14 AM

First dont be using plastic cases, the shrapnel could cause injury to you or someone. If you want to make crackers then use paper cases. Roll your own or use ones you have already.

This questions has been asked, granulated lift will burn faster than the same blackpowder as a powder form.

#3 Skarphedin

Skarphedin

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 28 September 2006 - 04:33 PM

Hi, i want to make some small firecrackers from filling small plastic tubes with blackpowder but am not sure which type of powder would be better. Would meal of granuated lift powder be better for this purpose?

Do not use plastic or metal containers as sharp fragments can be formed when the container bursts.
I recommend that you try to create a paloma type firecracker (also known as triangle salute or polumna). Start with a strip of paper 4 cm wide and 30 cm long (adjust depending on paper thickness and the amount of confinement needed). Follow the steps in the illustration. Continue folding until the whole strip is used. Secure with masking tape. It is not critical what kind of black powder you use. I prefer to use fairly fine grain pressed and granulated BP, but mill dust right from the mill jar will work well. 1 gram is enough to make a loud enough bang (for me at least, I prefer to not disturb and irritate my neighbours).

Posted Image

#4 karlfoxman

karlfoxman

Resident Maltese shell builder

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,139 posts

Posted 28 September 2006 - 04:53 PM

These have been talked about elsewhere, this topic is now closed. Please take advantage of the Search button or we may find bits of info all over the forum.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users