#1 phildunford

phildunford

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,299 posts

Posted 13 October 2006 - 10:35 AM

Just bought a 'corn grain cerial mill' from

Northern Tool

Looks like the answer to all my charcoal grinding needs!

It's like a 'spong' grinder, but more heavily built. It has a larger hopper and a long handle to reduce the effort. The real difference is that instead of mincing with two plates with holes it really grinds with two fluted grinding plates. You can adjust the distance between these plates with a screw. At it's closest setting it reduces lump charcoal to a powder about 80% of which passes 30mesh.

Not sure how long the grinding plates will last, but at the price (?14.79 plus post) it might well be of interest to other pyros.
Teaching moft plainly, and withall moft exactly, the composing of all manner of fire-works for tryumph and recreation (John Bate 1635)
Posted Imagethegreenman

#2 Richard H

Richard H

Pyro Forum Veteran

• Admin
  • 2,706 posts

Posted 13 October 2006 - 12:02 PM

That looks ideal! I hate reducing lumps of charcoal into a usable powder or rough feed stock for my mill.

#3 hoarp001

hoarp001

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 23 November 2006 - 10:25 PM

Hi Phil, did your cerial mill arrive?

How is it?

#4 phildunford

phildunford

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,299 posts

Posted 25 November 2006 - 06:04 PM

Hi Pete,

Yes, arrived very quickly. I also bought some 0-5kg scales from them for weighing ebay parcels etc.

It's a very effective mill. If you first bash your charcoal to peanut sized bits (in a stout plastic bag) it feeds unaided, but even biggish bits will get crushed by the screw thread if you give then a bit of a push into the hopper.

By far the best I've seen for the price...
Teaching moft plainly, and withall moft exactly, the composing of all manner of fire-works for tryumph and recreation (John Bate 1635)
Posted Imagethegreenman

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users