Photo

Very poor results from resistors So advice on where to get Nichrome wire please!

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 cooperman435

cooperman435

UKPS Caretaker & Bottlewasher

• Admin
  • 1,911 posts

Posted 29 November 2006 - 03:00 PM

Well my tests using resistors was dissapointing to say the least

The problem being that too much current and the resistor just pops and dies without generating enough heat to ignite the bp slurry

too little and obdviously nothing happens. this is all after having to account for the resistance of the wire used as a firing line.

So can anyone suggest a good swg for making e matches one they have personally had sucsess with and where to buy it

Thanks again chaps.

Phill

#2 Wyvern

Wyvern

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 193 posts

Posted 29 November 2006 - 03:39 PM

i found this on ebay, might be too thick though

Here

#3 BrightStar

BrightStar

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 900 posts

Posted 29 November 2006 - 07:25 PM

I don't know if you live in the countryside, but as a kid I used to take apart the polypropylene cord used for livestock electric fences to make improvised igniters. The cheap stuff is plastic string with very fine steel wire interwoven in to it (don't buy the more expensive copper based stuff). It costs about £4 for a 100m roll from any farm shop or online and can be unravelled to extract the steel wire. A 2cm length will reliably ignite BP from a 12v battery and is easier to work with than nichrome.

Edited by BrightStar, 29 November 2006 - 07:31 PM.

#4 Spudgun

Spudgun

Alex

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 29 November 2006 - 09:27 PM

Maybe this is a stupid idea but could a fine strand from wire (steel) wool be used, as this burns out at fairly low currents.

The down sides are that the wire might not produce reliable e-matches that ignite at exactly the same current (due to the different thicknesses and therefore resistance(?) of strands) and it might be difficult to get a good connection due to its inability to be soldered.

#5 hoarp001

hoarp001

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 29 November 2006 - 09:53 PM

I got mine from pyrotube. it was sent from america, but didnt take too long...

also

try mutr.co.uk, they sell it too....

#6 The Cruiser

The Cruiser

A.c

• General Public Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 30 November 2006 - 05:47 PM

Ebay is alway a good bet.....

#7 Andrew

Andrew

Rocket Scientist, no really, I am!

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 603 posts

Posted 06 December 2006 - 01:09 PM

Click here for the cheapest nichrome wire I've seen at rapid electronics. I'm sure they supply other lengths not in the education section but in the cables section.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users