6 replies to this topic

#1 Strobe

Strobe

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 08 February 2007 - 01:01 PM

Hi Folks,

I used to reload my own ammunition and have a brass tumbler similar to the one in the link below. I was wondering if something like this would work as a ball mill?

http://www.lymanprod...cts/tumbler.htm

Assuming it would work, I figured I could use smaller jars that would fit into the tumbler case in order to have separate containers for different type of chemicals.

Also, I have some bags of hardened lead shot in #7.5 size (this is fairly small maybe .5 mm in diameter). This is size used in sheet or trap shotgun shells, if that gives an idea of the size. Can shot like this be used as ball mill media?

Thanks
Strobe

#2 pyrotrev

pyrotrev

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• UKPS Members
  • 1,112 posts

Posted 08 February 2007 - 01:43 PM

Looks like an interesting machine - how exactly does it work?? I suspect you might need bigger shot to get any significant milling effect - try buck or swan shot!
Trying to do something very beautiful but very dangerous very safely....

#3 EnigmaticBiker

EnigmaticBiker

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 365 posts

Posted 08 February 2007 - 01:48 PM

Hi,

Interesting little machines, not used one myself, probably the only way to find out properly is to try it.
Maybe do a dummy run with something like sugar to see if it grinds OK and to check fine powders don't get into any other parts of the machine.

I guess this machine vibrates up and down.
5mm is too small really, in a standard ball mill much of the grinding action is from impacts between the media.

There are loads of different solutions on the milling media thread, the smallest I've heard of people using is 10mm.
Thinking of lead shot the usual calibre is 0.45 or 0.50 ball.

#4 Strobe

Strobe

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 08 February 2007 - 03:38 PM

I guess you are right. I can just try it out with sugar or salt and there should be no harm done. Hadn't thought about it, but with the firearms laws the way they are in the UK, I guess this is not a very commonly needed device over there.

I've never owned one, but I think this is very much the same thing as a rock tumbler. Basically the thing just vibrates very hard.

Are rock tumblers considered adequate for use as ball mills?

Since I dont have anything else handy to use at the moment, I'll try it out with the small shot and see if it has any affect.

I'll let you know how it goes.

Thanks for the advice.

#5 EnigmaticBiker

EnigmaticBiker

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 365 posts

Posted 08 February 2007 - 05:57 PM

I've never owned one, but I think this is very much the same thing as a rock tumbler. Basically the thing just vibrates very hard.

Are rock tumblers considered adequate for use as ball mills?
Since I dont have anything else handy to use at the moment, I'll try it out with the small shot and see if it has any affect.

The larger rock tumblers are ideal, the toy ones don't work so well.

I don't think those machines tumble in the same way though, may not be heavy enough vibration for tough pyro materials and definitely not metals. The cups on the top don't exactly look heavy duty.

#6 pyrotrev

pyrotrev

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• UKPS Members
  • 1,112 posts

Posted 08 February 2007 - 07:31 PM

It might work OK if the media are heavy enough. Sure the media won't move the same distance as in a ball mill, but if the vibratory action is sufficiently violent the forces between the media could still be big.
Trying to do something very beautiful but very dangerous very safely....

#7 Frozentech

Frozentech

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 389 posts

Posted 08 February 2007 - 07:42 PM

Hi Folks,

I used to reload my own ammunition and have a brass tumbler similar to the one in the link below. I was wondering if something like this would work as a ball mill?

http://www.lymanprod...cts/tumbler.htm

In 'Black Powder Manufacture, Testing, and Optimizing', von Maltitz says that indications are that vibratory mills can do a good job of grinding black powder materials, but should not be used for 3 component milling. YMMV
"The word unblowupable is thrown around a lot these days, but I think I can say with confidence..."
KAABLAAAMMM!!!
"OK... that shows you what could potentially happen."
--Homer Simpson

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users