• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Zinginex

Zinginex

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 155 posts

Posted 05 March 2007 - 08:32 PM

What is the difference and properties between Sodium chlorate + charcoal and Potassium nitrate + charcoal? I know you wouldn't be able to mix the Sodium chlorate with many other chemicals but whats the difference, for example , between the amount of gas and pressure each builds up in a salute? Me and my friend have tested both and the Sodium chlorate + charcoal had a faster burn rate.
Thanks

#2 hangusman

hangusman

kaltazar

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 05 March 2007 - 08:37 PM

Sodium chlorate and charcoal burns faster anf to more effect.

#3 Wyvern

Wyvern

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 193 posts

Posted 05 March 2007 - 08:52 PM

Sodium chlorate is also very hygroscopic and other than that is very similar to potassium chlorate in its oxidising properties, i have not seen any formulae that use sodium chlorate and i would advise you stay well clear of the stuff unless you know exactly what you are dealing with.

*Edit* You may want to look at this http://www.ilo.org/p...11/icsc1117.htm

Edited by Wyvern, 05 March 2007 - 08:57 PM.

#4 portfire

portfire

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,231 posts

Posted 05 March 2007 - 09:22 PM

Inhalation

Cough. Sore throat. Blue lips or finger nails. Blue skin. Confusion. Convulsions. Dizziness. Headache. Nausea. Unconsciousness :o

I'd leave the stuff well alone,there's no use for it at all

nice site Wyvern ,i'll be consulting that one alot i think :)

regards
dean :)
"I reject your reality and substitute my own" Adam Savage

#5 seymour

seymour

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 691 posts

Posted 06 March 2007 - 05:11 AM

Potassium nitrate makes plants grow, Sodium chlorate makes them die. You were refering to GARDENING, right, because the legitimate uses for NaClO3 in Pyro are non existent ( exept perhaps to convert to the potassium salt, or to electrolise to perchlorate) Good luck, Ragwort is a real pain, most herbacides have no effect on it... :P
The monkey leaped off it's sunny perch and flew off into the night sky.

#6 Andrew

Andrew

Rocket Scientist, no really, I am!

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 603 posts

Posted 06 March 2007 - 11:07 AM

legitimate uses for NaClO3 in Pyro are non existent ( exept perhaps to convert to the potassium salt, or to electrolise to perchlorate)

There are one or two, but they are far far beyond the realm of amateur pyrotechnics. They are extreme niche applications and even so, most manufacturers see it as an engineering challenge not to use it.

Perhaps experimentation to document it's theoretical application and effects in pyro under very limited tests would be acceptable, however there are some chlorate compositions that are specifically named as being outlawed by the MSER legislation. So its well worth reading up.

#7 Zinginex

Zinginex

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 155 posts

Posted 06 March 2007 - 04:40 PM

Wow ok thanks :blink: I'll stick with KNO3 then :D

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users