• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 x-Ammo-Nx-x

x-Ammo-Nx-x

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 18 October 2007 - 11:10 AM

Ok, I`ve been playing with some different metals that I found around the house. My problem is I have no way to grind the stuff up really fine, the best I can get at the minute is filings. Which metals can be used for adding color or sparks from just filings?

I have managed to get Iron Filings to spark nicely. I have Zinc filings from a battery case. I have Copper Filings from a pipe and I have Aluminium Filings from a heatsink. I also read that you can produce Copper Oxide from heating copper and scraping off the tarnish, I found a good way was to heat a copper pipe up and quench it in cold water, this removed all of the tarnish which sank to the bottom of the water. Is this actually copper oxide? any suggestions how I can use it?

Thanks.
Posted Image

#2 MMMMMM Pyro

MMMMMM Pyro

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 209 posts

Posted 18 October 2007 - 08:25 PM

Hi there,
To create sparks, in the pyrotechinic sence, I find the following metals to be acceptable:
Fe filings
Steel filings
Al powder, normally quite coarse (relatively) for use in fountains etc.
Mg/Al large grained powder for sparks, smaller size partices for other effects.
Ti powders, normally purchased in 'sponge' form, special caution is advised with Ti, because it has been known to increase the friction sensetivity of a compostition.

Zn and Cu probably would spark in a fountain, though I would imagine not particularly well.

I would assume that yes indeed it would be Cu(II)O.

Cu(II)O can be used for several things: Stars, some fountain comps, dragons eggs (don't even go there unless you can do so safely...)

I hope that that has answered at least some of your questions!

Best regards,

Mike

#3 pyromaniac303

pyromaniac303

• UKPS Members
  • 632 posts

Posted 18 October 2007 - 08:30 PM

Zinc powder is used in a few old blue/green formulas for stars, and some lances/fountains, because it burns naturally greenish/blue without any other chemicals needed, but isnt commonly used now as its fairly expensive and doesnt create a very bright effect in comparison to aluminium, titanium, magnesium etc.
You can never have a long enough fuse...

#4 Arthur Brown

Arthur Brown

General member

• UKPS Members
  • 2,923 posts

Posted 18 October 2007 - 08:58 PM

While there is a lot to getting stuff from your locality, please do read LOTS of reputed texts on formulation and compounding.

Some mixtures are sensitive to adverse conditions and forewarned is to keep all your fingers!

Read lots of formulas from Lancaster, Perigrin, Shimizu, Weingart, Clark, Tessier.

You will start to find patterns in the formulary then you can start to develop new variants on the same patterns.

Pyro design goes back just short of 1000 years, its such a pity to spend life and wallet on reinventing the wheel.
http://www.movember.com/uk/home/

Keep mannequins and watermelons away from fireworks..they always get hurt..

#5 x-Ammo-Nx-x

x-Ammo-Nx-x

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 19 October 2007 - 07:23 AM

Thanks you all for your help, I feel I`m stepping on the run of a very tall ladder. I think I should leave the colors to a later date. Cooperman has been giving me some very good advice and has set me in the right direction. And thanks for the safety advice Arthur. =D
Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users