#1 wjames

wjames

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 397 posts

Posted 29 August 2008 - 08:36 PM

hi folks.....newbie here.
firstly, whats the finest powder obtainable from a mortar and pestle - in terms of pot.nitrate.

i currently use a mortar and pestle for grinding up my pot. nitrate. - it works well, although its a long winded effort........

i know people use ball mills for mixed bp compositions........

would using my mortar and pestle with black powder + isoprop be sensible.

its a large 7 inch diam(internal) marble version.

any advice welcome

#2 digger

digger

Pyro Forum Top Trump!

• UKPS Members
  • 1,961 posts

Posted 29 August 2008 - 08:46 PM

hi folks.....newbie here.
firstly, whats the finest powder obtainable from a mortar and pestle - in terms of pot.nitrate.

i currently use a mortar and pestle for grinding up my pot. nitrate. - it works well, although its a long winded effort........

i know people use ball mills for mixed bp compositions........

would using my mortar and pestle with black powder + isoprop be sensible.

its a large 7 inch diam(internal) marble version.

any advice welcome

You will end up with blisters on the palm of your hand as you know.

There is plenty of info on here if you do a search on making BP.

As to Isoprop alcohol it will make little difference.
Phew that was close.

#3 pyromaniac303

pyromaniac303

• UKPS Members
  • 632 posts

Posted 29 August 2008 - 08:52 PM

In theory you can get powder as fine as you want with a mortar and pestle, you just need a lot of patience, and an arm that never gets tired!

Work with very small batch sizes, it is much more efficient to grind 5g of BP than 20g. The alchohol is not needed for grinding, but may help to reduce the dust. Some people also swear by grinding or ball milling their BP damp (with water, KNO3 is relatively insoluble in IPA), to dissolve the potassium nitrate and recrystalise it inside the pores of the charcoal but that is open to debate. If you do decide to grind your BP damp, don't wet it too much, as large crystals will form and reduce its effectiveness when it dries.

In terms of safety, BP is fairly insensitive, safe to handle and grind in small amounts, say 5g. If an ignition does occur though it will cause fairly serious burns to the hands, make sure you do your grinding outside, or in an out-building. Never grind it with metal powders, or other chemicals, these should be screened in afterwards.

Edited by pyromaniac303, 29 August 2008 - 08:53 PM.

You can never have a long enough fuse...

#4 wjames

wjames

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 397 posts

Posted 29 August 2008 - 09:21 PM

i normally grind them seperatly, and then roll mix them in a glass jar, before screening them.

i was considering a coffee grinder for initial sizing of my kno3....purely due to the effort/time required to do it in the M+P.

i presume, after having ground BP in the m+p...it should be cleaned fully.....before being used again.

if so, best way to do it?

outside with a match ??? or some water and a toothbrush ?

#5 pyromaniac303

pyromaniac303

• UKPS Members
  • 632 posts

Posted 29 August 2008 - 09:30 PM

It depends what your using it for next, if its just more individual chemicals for BP, I'd say youd be ok, but if its anything else then a damp cloth wetted with alcohol and water mix should do it.
You can never have a long enough fuse...

#6 wjames

wjames

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 397 posts

Posted 29 August 2008 - 09:54 PM

i love a forum where i get direct answers, without anyone poking fingers at a lack of knowledge.........

thanks very much pyromaniac.

how many member's here are from scotland ?

#7 digger

digger

Pyro Forum Top Trump!

• UKPS Members
  • 1,961 posts

Posted 29 August 2008 - 11:11 PM

i normally grind them seperatly, and then roll mix them in a glass jar, before screening them.

i was considering a coffee grinder for initial sizing of my kno3....purely due to the effort/time required to do it in the M+P.

i presume, after having ground BP in the m+p...it should be cleaned fully.....before being used again.

By the way try to avoid the use of glass. Think about reducing risks wherever possible, a glass jar blowing up could give some pretty nasty injuries.
Phew that was close.

#8 Bonny

Bonny

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 538 posts

Posted 30 August 2008 - 12:07 AM

Coffee grinders are very commonly used by people for grinding INDIVIDUAL chems, never compositions. If you are using it for KNO3, then keep that grinder for oxidizers only and get another for fuels (I have 3 coffee grinders) As for the mortar and pestle, water and a toothbrush should be OK, but don't ever use that m+p for chlorates or anything you may mix with chlorates. I'd give it a really good soak in soapy water and then use the toothbrush...it's not a wooden m+p is it?

#9 wjames

wjames

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 397 posts

Posted 30 August 2008 - 08:03 AM

im aware of the dangers around chlorates/salts etc....the m+p is labeled KNO3 ONLY!!!!!
i like to keep myself right.

what kind of mesh can i expect to see from a coffee grinder ?

#10 portfire

portfire

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,231 posts

Posted 30 August 2008 - 09:46 AM

im aware of the dangers around chlorates/salts etc....the m+p is labeled KNO3 ONLY!!!!!
i like to keep myself right.

what kind of mesh can i expect to see from a coffee grinder ?

I'm not sure if it depends on the quality of the grinder, but have read you can get airfloat charcoal in seconds.

I would really suggest you sort a ballmill out. I have 3 mill jars, 1 for Oxidizers 1 for charcoal and 1 for BP. It makes life so much easier, just sit back and let the mill do the work.

Also, have you done any resaerch on the CIA method of producing BP? It doesn't produce as good quality BP as a mill would, but will make respectable BP.
"I reject your reality and substitute my own" Adam Savage

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users