Guest_PyroPDC_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 March 2010 - 02:23 PM

These are the overalls i use:

http://cgi.ebay.co.u...=item414d49cef0

With this helmet:

http://cgi.ebay.co.u...=item19ba8215b4

Thats hardcore :P

wow that's some helmet hardcore ant the word.

#122 Karl Mitchell-Shead

Karl Mitchell-Shead

MIExpE & Director - Illusion Fireworks Ltd

• UKPS Members
  • 580 posts

Posted 08 March 2010 - 06:02 PM

I try not to compromise on safety..... plus i like 'gucci' kit :P

www.illusionfireworks.com - A SKY FULL OF MAGIC!

#123 Arthur Brown

Arthur Brown

General member

• UKPS Members
  • 2,923 posts

Posted 08 March 2010 - 07:32 PM

If you want to pass the IC course, then you MUST have a hard hat with ear defenders and polycarbonate full face visor. You also need a fire retardant boiler suit and suitable shoes or boots, gloves are nice.

You can go better than this. Demon Tweeks and other car and bike racing suppliers will sell you nomex longjohns and long sleeve vests, and nomex flash hoods/balaclavas. Nomex trousers shirts and fleeces are easily available but for more money.

Arrival at the course without the stipulated PPE could be a fail. While the mesh visor will stop particles they will not stop blast wave or hot gasses.
http://www.movember.com/uk/home/

Keep mannequins and watermelons away from fireworks..they always get hurt..

#124 Karl Mitchell-Shead

Karl Mitchell-Shead

MIExpE & Director - Illusion Fireworks Ltd

• UKPS Members
  • 580 posts

Posted 08 March 2010 - 08:35 PM

You can go better than this. Demon Tweeks and other car and bike racing suppliers will sell you nomex longjohns and long sleeve vests, and nomex flash hoods/balaclavas. Nomex trousers shirts and fleeces are easily available but for more money.

For unneccessary cost, surplus firefighting equipment can be found far cheaper than the above (display operators are unfortunately not sponsored by big time brands that pay for racing equipment :P) and it is afterall designed to keep you safe while dealing with fire as opposed to escaping it + IMO it looks far better :)

Your best bet is a set of Dickies proban overalls and as Arthur says, a helmet with polycarbonate visor (for disc cutting etc) can bothe be found for less that £50 in screwfix.

Dont get too carried away and spend loads on PPE until your firing regularly, i'm working a good 20 - 30 shows a year which calls for sturdier PPE, i had a set of dickies with reflective bands for four years using a forestry helmet (hemlet of choise for 80% of firers i have worked with) and oakley safety goggles, it wasnt until i used a 50mm salute cake with no lift charge in it on a handfire job last year that i decided an upgrade was in order, i dont think even nomex underpants would have done the job that night :D

www.illusionfireworks.com - A SKY FULL OF MAGIC!

#125 pyropadz

pyropadz

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 19 March 2010 - 02:01 AM

Are we any closer to a venu yet for the trainig. its just ive been asked at work what holidays i want off and im thinking about taking a day of for this course just need a date. ow and just to mention a friend of mine would like to join the course aswell that would make it 11. adam aka pyropadz

#126 phildunford

phildunford

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,299 posts

Posted 19 March 2010 - 10:16 AM

Adam (& others) - Apologies, we have been so busy with other stuff that this course has slipped a bit.

We are still confirming the venue, the course content, and the date! Rest assured, it will happen if we have enough interest (& it looks like we have). It will be on a Saturday, because this is the best day for most people. Look for us to get our act together soon after the AGM...
Teaching moft plainly, and withall moft exactly, the composing of all manner of fire-works for tryumph and recreation (John Bate 1635)
Posted Imagethegreenman

#127 portfire

portfire

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,231 posts

Posted 19 March 2010 - 06:41 PM

Adam (& others) - Apologies, we have been so busy with other stuff that this course has slipped a bit.

We are still confirming the venue, the course content, and the date! Rest assured, it will happen if we have enough interest (& it looks like we have). It will be on a Saturday, because this is the best day for most people. Look for us to get our act together soon after the AGM...

Looks like you need more staff...Rich :P
"I reject your reality and substitute my own" Adam Savage

#128 bongobert

bongobert

• General Public Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 01 April 2010 - 01:51 PM

Post 99

quick question,

Is the course recognised by pyro display companies?

thanks

Sam

Post 100
Quick question, but no quick answer!

I've sent you a PM that I hope summarises the situation.

Hope this will help.

In relation to the question asked by SamCt post 99 and replied to by Phildunford in post 100, see above. It maybe a good idea to make it public what the long answer is as i would also like to know.

Best regards BB

#129 portfire

portfire

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,231 posts

Posted 01 April 2010 - 02:35 PM

Welcome to the forum BB

Pretty much all companies look for experience. Theres no "real" national recognised course, but doing courses like this helps you approach display companies, so you can offer to help for free to gain experience

There is the BPA (British Pyrotechnic Association) level 1&2, which I suppose is whats becoming a 'national recognised course' BUT you have to be firing for a company before you can take them.

The 'Illuminate Consult' course is great value and does go beyond the BPA. Have a read around this forum and you'll find the benifits the course has, not just the course itself but what it can offer in the future

Hope this helps
Dean
"I reject your reality and substitute my own" Adam Savage

#130 fruitfulsteve

fruitfulsteve

• UKPS Members
  • 1,079 posts

Posted 04 April 2010 - 05:49 PM

can anyone remember the emergency number that you use from a mobile so they can pinpoint your position ? i can't seem to find it in the manual.
Yo Ho Ho, a pyro's life for me

#131 Arthur Brown

Arthur Brown

General member

• UKPS Members
  • 2,923 posts

Posted 04 April 2010 - 06:22 PM

The IlluminateConsult course will make you more trained in the handling of fireworks including cat4 fireworks. It is the training element in determining competence. However it needs real life experience as well to make it really useful.

Nothing will get you work in the industry if there are no vacancies! There are a few casual crew vacancies each year for the busy season but after that there will be little work til the new year!

For several members of the forum the knowledge and wisdom learned has helped them be safe in their own pyro hobby.
http://www.movember.com/uk/home/

Keep mannequins and watermelons away from fireworks..they always get hurt..

#132 pyropadz

pyropadz

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 12 May 2010 - 01:04 PM

hi do you know if the cat 4 course will be run. as i have been watching the links for a while now and there doesn't seem to be much being said about it. im still interested in doing it. thanks Adam

#133 phildunford

phildunford

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,299 posts

Posted 12 May 2010 - 04:55 PM

Hi Adam (& others)

You can pretty much blame me for the lack of activity!

The main problem is that it's proving difficult to pin down a venue at the moment.

We will certainly run this course asap and very much see it as part of the UKPS remit to do so.

I will try and move it along as quickly as I can.

BTW if anyone knows of a central & cheap (preferably free) venue that can host a dozen people, has an area suitable for firing and would not object to half an hour of noise, please pm me.
Teaching moft plainly, and withall moft exactly, the composing of all manner of fire-works for tryumph and recreation (John Bate 1635)
Posted Imagethegreenman

#134 Candle

Candle

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 05 June 2010 - 11:02 PM

Having previously owned a Firework company, albeit 15 years ago, I would be interested to see how its done now, put me down please.

Candle

#135 phildunford

phildunford

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,299 posts

Posted 06 June 2010 - 12:21 PM

OK - I have at last pinned down a venue! It's the S London school where I work (Streatham) & they have OKed a course at minimal hire costs.

I will try to fix the date with the school and Illuminate this week, it will be a Saturday, hopefully in the next 4-8 weeks.

Once I have a date, I will contact those who have given me their details (& we will require a deposit), If anyone is interested but has not given me their contact details, please PM me.

We need 10 people to hit the (roughly) £100 course cost.
Posted Imagethegreenman

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users