#1 Mixologist

Mixologist

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 284 posts

Posted 24 April 2009 - 03:45 PM

Hello all,

I have finsihed my racks and i am now trying to come up with a cheap but reliable safe way of holding them together on any surface.

I am aiming not to have to use stakes this year as they are time consuming and messy, although they do let you have any angle if the wind is playing up.

So i want a way of locking them together... easy enough.... and giving angles if ness.

I have seen quite a few display companies takes on this and most of them are great for vertical but not so good for angles. I do not need a fanning system as i have some an racks i simply need an adjustable locking system for say 5 racks at a time.

Has anyone on here done this? I have a few scribbles on paper but wanted to know what if anything anyone on here has done??

Thanks in advance for replies!!

Edited by Mixologist, 24 April 2009 - 03:46 PM.

#2 Spyrotechnics

Spyrotechnics

Fireworks Lover

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 664 posts

Posted 24 April 2009 - 03:51 PM

we have a method that works well for us, if you post up a picture of your racks I can advise if it would work on yours.

#3 Mixologist

Mixologist

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 284 posts

Posted 24 April 2009 - 04:01 PM

Ok.... how do i do that???!! Sorry only even write on here!!

#4 Spyrotechnics

Spyrotechnics

Fireworks Lover

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 664 posts

Posted 24 April 2009 - 04:05 PM

ah ok, if you want you can email a picture to me info@spyrotechnics.com

#5 Mixologist

Mixologist

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 284 posts

Posted 24 April 2009 - 04:10 PM

Done

#6 Spyrotechnics

Spyrotechnics

Fireworks Lover

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 664 posts

Posted 24 April 2009 - 04:35 PM

cool, well a mixture of Pronged T nuts, Bolts with Handles and Planks with strategically drilled slots gives you a firm method of holding the racks upright, or angled (be careful about the bottoms blowing out of the racks though :) )

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#7 Mixologist

Mixologist

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 284 posts

Posted 24 April 2009 - 04:46 PM

Smart.

How are the bolts coming off your racks?

I like the fact you can have pretty much any angle you want here if your holes are in the right place! Alot more simple than my drawings!!

Ignore that!! I think i have worked out that you drilled a hole in your rack on the side and then inserted a pronged T nut?? the silver one??

Edited by Mixologist, 24 April 2009 - 04:48 PM.

#8 Spyrotechnics

Spyrotechnics

Fireworks Lover

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 664 posts

Posted 24 April 2009 - 07:29 PM

yes mate, you got it, drill hole, insert "pronged T", insert handle from other side with washer and tighten up to pull the prongs into the timber :)

We prefer to rack ours together in 4's or 5's, means you can pick the whole thing up and move around if needed.

Also using this method means you can space the racks out, making it easier for fusing and safer (in my opinion) should you get any mishaps :)

Stu
(can't take the credit for the design - pinched from elsewhere and just tweaked a little)

#9 Arthur Brown

Arthur Brown

General member

• UKPS Members
  • 2,923 posts

Posted 24 April 2009 - 07:48 PM

I've seen a very similar system which I like that has a steel bar with threaded holes built onto the rack end then M10 bolts to secure the rack to the side rails of the frame, all done up with an electric drill driver and socket.

Even better if the side rail ends have a handle carved onto the ends so that they can be re-aligned if the wind changes.

Start to pick a width that lets you have 3, 4 and 5 inch tubes in a rack in decreasing numbers, and some fan racks. Say, for example 24" inside the rack ends that's 8 x 3" or 6 x 4" or 4 x 6" tubes. Take one tube out and you have a start for a fan rack design.

Don't let the racks get too big, you need to lift them back into the van after the show!
http://www.movember.com/uk/home/

Keep mannequins and watermelons away from fireworks..they always get hurt..

#10 Spyrotechnics

Spyrotechnics

Fireworks Lover

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 664 posts

Posted 24 April 2009 - 08:01 PM

Start to pick a width that lets you have 3, 4 and 5 inch tubes in a rack in decreasing numbers, and some fan racks

yes, thats what we do, however we individually pin our 5" racks and only connect 3" and 4" racks together in that format :)

24" inside the rack ends that's 8 x 3" or 6 x 4" or 4 x 6" tubes

You have to take into consideration the wall thickness of the tubes, plus, you may want to ensure a nice gap between each tube to dissipate any "energy" :)

#11 TrueBluePyro

TrueBluePyro

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 25 April 2009 - 09:58 AM

This is probs off topic, but here is a video of my "rack"

10 Shot 3" Fireworks Rack

Yeah I know it is made of steel, but it should be safe enough, I seal my shells very well (Just a couple of sticks of hot glue). Oh yeah and really sorry about the video, my shells are all burly but that where heaps better than they where on camera.

Edited by TrueBluePyro, 25 April 2009 - 10:02 AM.

#12 Mixologist

Mixologist

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 284 posts

Posted 25 April 2009 - 10:36 AM

I've seen a very similar system which I like that has a steel bar with threaded holes built onto the rack end then M10 bolts to secure the rack to the side rails of the frame, all done up with an electric drill driver and socket.

Even better if the side rail ends have a handle carved onto the ends so that they can be re-aligned if the wind changes.

Start to pick a width that lets you have 3, 4 and 5 inch tubes in a rack in decreasing numbers, and some fan racks. Say, for example 24" inside the rack ends that's 8 x 3" or 6 x 4" or 4 x 6" tubes. Take one tube out and you have a start for a fan rack design.

Don't let the racks get too big, you need to lift them back into the van after the show!

The racks are already done Arthur but i did do what you have suggested. My 3" are fanned in a 3 but are the same width as a vertical 5, 4" fanned in 2 but same as 3 vertical and same width as the 3" racks. My 5" are vertical in a 3 and completely different size but i like to stake these if i can anyway. Havent any 6`s yet. I think i have 150 tubes in total.

I prefer so far the handle screw idea as you dont need a drilldriver and your hands rarely run out of battery!!

Struggling to find a supplier of the handle bolts though! Google time again!

#13 Timmy Yang

Timmy Yang

• General Public Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 27 April 2009 - 04:02 AM

Hello! Everyone.

I'm Ms Timmy from Liuyang, Hunan, China. we have exported stainless steel racks and wooden racks to Holland and Italy. If you need pictures about stainless steel racks and wooden racks. pls email to me. my email address is timmypyro@hotmail.com when I receive your email, i will send our picutures for your reference. because i don't know how to add some picture on this forum. who can tell me how to add picture here?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users