17 replies to this topic

#1 dogsbody

dogsbody

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 248 posts

Posted 22 May 2009 - 08:07 AM

upto now i havent really used any protective equipment, but I suppose I had better get hold of some!!

re visor, ear defenders and hard hat, is this a suitable option? http://www.toolstati...70/sd520/p31333

not really got a lot of spare cash and its only £20.

many thanks

#2 phildunford

phildunford

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,299 posts

Posted 22 May 2009 - 08:23 AM

The received wisdom is that a polycarb visor is better than a mesh one - although I have heard the opposite argued!

There are no rules or guidelines on this, so really it's a matter of personal choice. The mesh visor does reduce visablility 10 - 20% which is not good when you are working in the dark, so I went for polycarb...
Teaching moft plainly, and withall moft exactly, the composing of all manner of fire-works for tryumph and recreation (John Bate 1635)
Posted Imagethegreenman

#3 knackers

knackers

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 204 posts

Posted 22 May 2009 - 08:27 AM

i wouldn't so much worry about a hard hat as when you fire your goodies you should be well enough away, your problem would be at the manufacturing stage and if anything goes wrong it will be below your chin,

it may help to keep your brains of the cealing and walls though, :o

as far as hearing protection, if your close enough for you comps to perforate your ear drums you probably won't even know an accident has happened !

visor, respiratory protection and gloves are a very smart option,

#4 phildunford

phildunford

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,299 posts

Posted 22 May 2009 - 08:30 AM

Manufacturing and firing displays require very different protection... Which are we talking about?

In manufacturing I'd say a face mask for protection against nasty dusts is more important than expolsion protection.
Teaching moft plainly, and withall moft exactly, the composing of all manner of fire-works for tryumph and recreation (John Bate 1635)
Posted Imagethegreenman

#5 knackers

knackers

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 204 posts

Posted 22 May 2009 - 08:46 AM

Manufacturing and firing displays require very different protection... Which are we talking about?

In manufacturing I'd say a face mask for protection against nasty dusts is more important than expolsion protection.

i agree phill, ... it is dangerous to assume, but i assumed zebedee was talking about making products at home,
and if tamping a 4 inch shell closed with a booster such as 70:30 produced an un wanted reaction then not much is going to help, ( except perhaps a double kevlar body suit )

so the lungs and eyes are the most important... long sleeves " cotton " would also be responsible practice,

#6 dogsbody

dogsbody

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 248 posts

Posted 22 May 2009 - 10:21 AM

sorry guys, was referring to firing, I dont personally manufacture (dont have the time). was thinking in line with other threads refering to PPE for firing (ie nomex suits, head protection etc). I note that some firework suppliers sell similar sort of headgear for displays so was wondering if it was worth getting some.

cheers

#7 knackers

knackers

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 204 posts

Posted 22 May 2009 - 10:40 AM

sorry guys, was referring to firing, I dont personally manufacture (dont have the time). was thinking in line with other threads refering to PPE for firing (ie nomex suits, head protection etc). I note that some firework suppliers sell similar sort of headgear for displays so was wondering if it was worth getting some.

cheers

no worries" my firing attire probably won't help you, "cinged eye brows, thongs, shorts, t-shirt, cigy and stubby of beer :lol: , " just kidding " ho yea and a few burns up your back from falling embers,

Edited by phill 63, 22 May 2009 - 10:43 AM.

#8 dogsbody

dogsbody

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 248 posts

Posted 22 May 2009 - 10:48 AM

no worries" my firing attire probably won't help you, "cinged eye brows, thongs, shorts, t-shirt, cigy and stubby of beer :lol: , " just kidding " ho yea and a few burns up your back from falling embers,

not got to that stage yet, (thankfully) even with a rocket melting the launch tube and going off at 4ft off the ground! my normal attire is jeans and t-shirt!

#9 Bonny

Bonny

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 538 posts

Posted 22 May 2009 - 12:29 PM

I use a forestry kit similar to the one you posted (mesh visor) and have no problems with visibility in the dark. I know some shooters who also wear safety glasses under thier visors. For a shooting jacket, a denim (jean) jacket is fine.

Edited by Bonny, 22 May 2009 - 12:30 PM.

#10 teaboy

teaboy

Ejects Stars and Bangs

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 22 May 2009 - 01:53 PM

I go with a forestry helmet (hard-had, mesh visor, ear defenders), Nomex hood underneeth (eye-holes only), then overalls, gloves and work-boots.

I've heard the arguments about full poly-carb vs mesh, and I'm yet to see a mesh visor fog up so you can't see through it after 2 minutes!

Hard-hat's important - what goes up will probably come down in some form too.

#11 Arthur Brown

Arthur Brown

General member

• UKPS Members
  • 2,923 posts

Posted 22 May 2009 - 05:56 PM

PPE is to suit the expected hazard, think very carefully. You may not have spare cash but you certainly will not have spare eyesight, hearing or skin.

Consider first what the hazards are that you may be exposed to.

If you are hand firing on short fuses the hazards are very different from sitting by the programmed lappy 200m away.

For hand firing cat4 hard hat with visor and ear protection, spark resistant boiler suit, and stout footware is a minimum.

For pressing buttons while standing next to the bride then something smart is more appropriate.

Boiler suit £30
Hard hat kit £30
boots £20+

Get yourself on the cat4 course that the Society is promoting Risk Hazard and PPE is well discussed as it is very important.
http://www.movember.com/uk/home/

Keep mannequins and watermelons away from fireworks..they always get hurt..

#12 teaboy

teaboy

Ejects Stars and Bangs

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 23 May 2009 - 10:40 AM

For pressing buttons while standing next to the bride then something smart is more appropriate.

Boiler suit £30
Hard hat kit £30
boots £20+

I'd disagree with the hard-hat. If you're next to the bride it should be safe enough for no PPE whatsoever, unless the audience will also be in hard-hats.

Boiler suit and boots just looks professional (as long as they're clean!)

#13 Arthur Brown

Arthur Brown

General member

• UKPS Members
  • 2,923 posts

Posted 23 May 2009 - 10:59 AM

OK! Semantics and punctuation!

Let's revise my post.

PPE is to suit the expected hazard, think very carefully. You may not have spare cash but you certainly will not have spare eyesight, hearing or skin.

Consider first what the hazards are that you may be exposed to.

If you are hand firing on short fuses the hazards are very different from sitting by the programmed lappy 200m away.

For hand firing cat4 hard hat with visor and ear protection, spark resistant boiler suit, and stout footwear is a minimum.

For typical starting prices of:
Boiler suit £30
Hard hat kit £30
boots £20+

You must select and afford PPE before chance becomes a certainty, and you get hurt.

Get yourself on the cat4 course that the Society is promoting, Risk Hazard and PPE is well discussed as it is very important.
http://www.movember.com/uk/home/

Keep mannequins and watermelons away from fireworks..they always get hurt..

#14 Guest_PyroPDC_*

Guest_PyroPDC_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 May 2009 - 11:46 AM

Brought mine all off Ebay, paid about £23 for flame retardant boiler suit, £10 for helmet with visor & ear defenders. very good quality to.

#15 The Legendary Graham

The Legendary Graham

If it goes bang its ace.

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 144 posts

Posted 16 July 2009 - 06:57 AM

I love hand firing and over the years have come to rely on a certain set of gear that i find most reliable and that has done me justice.
The hard hat with mesh face screen is what i have i prefer the impact protection of metal over plastic also there is no fogging or getting annoyed with scratches to a plastic face screen, i do however wear goggles underneath to protect from small particles and sparks. After the hard hat i suggest a hood of some kind to prevent sparks going down the back of your neck,hearing protection is optional on preference, personally i dont wear it i prefer to hear what is going on i have fired enough shows to know when something has gone wrong just by the sound of it, and if im close to big shells firing i put a finger in the ear that is closest, also make sure the hard hat has a chin strap you dont want it flying off whilst turning your head. I wear a leather jacket this is flame proof and very impact resistant id take it over a boiler suit any day of the week, tight fitting leather gardening gloves are also very good opposed to thick loose fitting ones, as for pants anything flame resistant or good at resisting impact. People may disagree with my choice but in all the years i have been firing this selection has served me best i have all my fingers my eyebrows and my hearing is fine (i get tested at work every 12 months) and i have never been hurt, the main thing is being aware of what is going on around you a firing site isnt nearly as bad as its made out to be when you have experience of being in the thick of it.
We dont do girly shows.!!!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users