• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#1 phildunford

phildunford

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,299 posts

Posted 27 June 2009 - 08:00 PM

Not a Pyro matter, but did you know our glorious government are trying to reduce the National Speed Limit to 50 MPH!

If that happens I don't think I'll bother to go out at all!

Anyway, there is a 'Number 10' petition at:

My linkPetition

I urge you to sign it and tell all your friends about it...

Edited by phildunford, 27 June 2009 - 08:01 PM.

Teaching moft plainly, and withall moft exactly, the composing of all manner of fire-works for tryumph and recreation (John Bate 1635)
Posted Imagethegreenman

#2 Guest_PyroPDC_*

Guest_PyroPDC_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 June 2009 - 09:01 PM

Not a Pyro matter, but did you know our glorious government are trying to reduce the National Speed Limit to 50 MPH!

If that happens I don't think I'll bother to go out at all!

Anyway, there is a 'Number 10' petition at:

My linkPetition

I urge you to sign it and tell all your friends about it...

oh great, if that law get the go ahead then all the old people ect will be driving 10mph less (40Mph) like they do now . dont you just hate it when that happens :angry:

signed (when will our government learn to stop covering everybody in cotton wool)

#3 Vic

Vic

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,144 posts

Posted 27 June 2009 - 09:03 PM

The link doesn't seem to work for me, Phil.
Freud. Artists, in this view, are people who may avoid neurosis and perversion by sublimating their impulses in their work.

#4 Guest_PyroPDC_*

Guest_PyroPDC_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 June 2009 - 09:08 PM

here's the link it was just a double http at the start and missing a : http://petitions.num...noNSLreduction/

Edited by PyroPDC, 27 June 2009 - 09:09 PM.

#5 helix

helix

• UKPS Members
  • 151 posts

Posted 27 June 2009 - 10:02 PM

I really wonder who comes up with these half baked proposals to reduce speed limits.

Is this to be another stealth tax? who on earth is going to drive at 50mph when a) previously 70mph was legal and B) the car they are driving is probably more than capable of comfortably sitting at 80mph or more... plenty of opportunities to generate income.

Decisions should be based on facts not on either emotional grounds or bad science; There is little evidence to support the view that reducing speed limits will make our roads safer. Road safety is a much more complex subject and cannot be based on one variable alone.

I shall be registering my objection to this stupid piece of legislation.

James

By the way Phil, I thought you lived in London...you should be ok with a 50mph limit down in your kneck of the woods, I found it difficult to get to 20mph let alone 50 about London Posted Image

#6 David

David

Moonlight Shadow

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,406 posts

Posted 28 June 2009 - 01:45 AM

There is little evidence to support the view that reducing speed limits will make our roads safer.

Of course it would!

The faster a car is going, the longer it takes to stop and the more damage it is capable of doing to itself, other cars and pedestrians if it strikes them. It's basic, basic physics.

The issue here is acceptable risk.

However , I DO agree with your general point.

Speed alone should not be considered the only factor when considering road safety.
OK, interest in fireworks to be resumed in the spring. It usually is. ;)

#7 helix

helix

• UKPS Members
  • 151 posts

Posted 28 June 2009 - 06:01 AM

Reducing speed reduces the kinetic energy and momentum of a vehicle and would obviously reduce the severity of injury and damage in the event of an accident.

However its intersting to look at the statistics from the dft, speed cameras and campaigns to reduce speeding etc have made little difference to road safety in the uk.

Lowering the speed limit would make little difference to the speed people drive at, however it would provide far more oppertunities to generate revenue.

#8 mlepyro

mlepyro

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 28 June 2009 - 09:05 AM

Don't we have better braking cars now?

Edited by mlepyro, 28 June 2009 - 03:23 PM.

MLE Pyrotechnics Limited
www.mlepyro.co.uk www.firebywire.co.uk

#9 dogsbody

dogsbody

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 248 posts

Posted 28 June 2009 - 09:55 AM

may as well start walking if it comes in cos I would keep getting caught!!!

#10 portfire

portfire

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,231 posts

Posted 28 June 2009 - 10:15 AM

This country
"I reject your reality and substitute my own" Adam Savage

#11 crystal palace fireworks

crystal palace fireworks

Keith

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 950 posts

Posted 28 June 2009 - 10:49 AM

OMG, not another lily liberal decision by this pathetic government, this is utterly ridiculous, what is the basis of there argument to reduce the speed limit to 50mph?,.......don`t tell me CARBON EMISSIONS perhaps? or road deaths?

With modern cars comes more efficient braking systems and stopping distances etc.....if I had my way, I would increase the national speed limit to 85mph, and introduce a more modern and comprehensive driving test every 2 years for ages 17 to 25 to attempt to reduce road deaths further.

I will be glad to sign the petition phil.

#12 phildunford

phildunford

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,299 posts

Posted 28 June 2009 - 02:38 PM

By the way Phil, I thought you lived in London...you should be ok with a 50mph limit down in your kneck of the woods, I found it difficult to get to 20mph let alone 50 about London Posted Image

Lol - you are right there mate - 20 MPH is fast as we ever get in London! However if I had to stick to 50 MPH on long trips, I would not be going to any more pyro gigs is Leicestershire and Yorkshire - I base my trips on 85MPH average and 100 on a good day - not true of course Posted Image
Teaching moft plainly, and withall moft exactly, the composing of all manner of fire-works for tryumph and recreation (John Bate 1635)
Posted Imagethegreenman

#13 pyrotrev

pyrotrev

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• UKPS Members
  • 1,112 posts

Posted 29 June 2009 - 12:30 PM

I'm also of the opinion that it wouldn't make a lot of difference to road safety: whilst the effects of of an accident are obviously worse at high speed, on long journeys the extra fatigue and impatience will likely make accidents more common.
Trying to do something very beautiful but very dangerous very safely....

#14 Potassium chlorate

Potassium chlorate

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 596 posts

Posted 17 August 2009 - 08:59 PM

Something is utterly wrong with your country. I thought Sweden was a semi-Soviet shithole when I was younger, but the UK is 10 times worse. Gun bans. Surveillance cameras in every corner. Heavy restrictions on chemicals. Police state. Et cetera.
"This salt, formerly called hyperoxymuriate of potassa, is
used for sundry preparations, and especially for experimental
fire-works."

Dr. James Cutbush

#15 digger

digger

Pyro Forum Top Trump!

• UKPS Members
  • 1,961 posts

Posted 17 August 2009 - 09:53 PM

I used to go to Sweden very regularly with work (the quiet east coast), not so often now. I always thought it was a pretty laid back place which was pretty sensible on the whole.

It has to be said though you have a far lower population density than we do here (which can be an issue when trying to get out of the way to fire some pyro).

Some interesting policies on immigration though, at least there were a few years ago.
Phew that was close.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users