• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Robert Blackman

Robert Blackman

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 19 December 2014 - 12:59 AM

Hi everyone. I want to get a comparison between cat.3 firework rocket engines and the type available to model rocketeers. The biggest non licence engine in the UK from Estes is D12. We are not allowed the E size. We can however single or stage 2 or mayde 3 D's but it gets expensive. I've posted the Estes engine chart below. If the firework engines have more power and where available without the rest of the firework they could be used in model rockets.

Better still would be making my own. Being allowed to mix 100 grams of rocket propellant would give me 2 or 3 good engines and would add another aspect to the hobby. I'd love to be able make my own engines, I resist the urge because it's illigal and I fear the consequences of being caught in these paranoid times.  It's a shame because it's not all about going higher or faster but testing new ideas, slightly bigger engines could lift more onboard equipment and different nozzle configurations could be developed.

If anyone knows anything about the bigger firework engines or has any ideas heres the chart.

Thanks.

Attached Thumbnails

• engine chart.png

Edited by Robert Blackman, 19 December 2014 - 01:28 AM.

#2 rocketpro

rocketpro

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 249 posts

Posted 19 December 2014 - 05:31 PM

Hi everyone. I want to get a comparison between cat.3 firework rocket engines and the type available to model rocketeers.

If anyone knows anything about the bigger firework engines or has any ideas heres the chart.

Thanks.

Most, (if not all) reliable commercial rocket motors are short cored so they would offer a  similar performance to the equivalent sized Estes motors.

Edited by rocketpro, 19 December 2014 - 05:33 PM.

Who tests the tester.

#3 Robert Blackman

Robert Blackman

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 20 December 2014 - 03:21 AM

Thanks for that, thought they would be in the same ballpark. Moneywise a commerical D motor works out around £4 a burn here. It all sounds much of a muchness.

#4 rocketpro

rocketpro

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 249 posts

Posted 20 December 2014 - 08:13 AM

Thanks for that, thought they would be in the same ballpark. Moneywise a commerical D motor works out around £4 a burn here. It all sounds much of a muchness.

You may find this of interest....

http://www.jacobsrocketry.com/

Who tests the tester.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users